Wednesday 22 June 2011

How green are we? :)

So we have, to date, generated 1,304.86 kWh of electricity.  But what can you do with that?  Well according to Nashville Electric Service the average American home uses 1,300 kWh of electricity a month (must be all those air conditioners - oh how I miss air conditioners in homes).

According to another site the average home in the UK uses 4,000 kWh in a year.

So we have generated enough electricity so far to power the average American home for a month or the average UK home for more than 3 months (or our house for a third of a year).  :)  Not enough for a Scifi Death Ray though.  :(

In terms of CO2 we have reduced our carbon foot print by 1,957.29 lbs of CO2 so far.  That is supposedly almost as much as you would save each year by insulating your walls and ceilings, or turning your thermostat down by 2 degrees in the winter (and up by 2 degrees in the summer - assuming you have air conditioning - have I mentioned how I miss air conditioning?), or the savings (over 6.5 years) of changing all the light bulbs in your house to the low energy florescent bulbs.  All according to Cut CO2 web site.

But lets put that CO2 into terms that matter (at least to a car nut like myself).  I could drive a Corvette C6 for 2,800 miles before generating that much CO2.  OK so that isn't a lot of miles, but boy would they be fun!  :)  Or 4,700 miles in my CRV (because I don't have a Corvette) and no the miles aren't as fun but it is more family friendly.

So right now I'm feeling pretty green and virtuous!

No comments:

Post a Comment